Monday, September 12, 2011

I recently learned how to make fresh corn tortillas.  I always thought it would be so difficult to make them, but I found it was really simple. 

The basic recipe I use is very similar to what's on the bag of Masa Harina except I omit the salt.  The first time I made it I didn't have any salt and the tasted great so I've never bothered using it.

Here is the recipe off the bag...

Tortillas

ingredients

For the Dough:
2        Cups MASECA®
¼       Tbsp Salt
1¼     Cup Water

Procedure

For the Dough:
In a bowl mix the MASECA®, water and salt until it is all incorporated and a smooth dough is formed which doesn’t stick to your hands. If the dough feels dry, add teaspoons of water (one by one). Once the dough is ready, cover with a wet towel so that it does not dry out.

Divide the dough into 16 equal portions and form little balls. Flatten each ball between two sheets of wax paper, using a press for tortillas and start making the tortillas.

Once the tortilla is ready, cook on a hot griddle for 1 minute each side, or until the tortilla fills with air.

Accompany each tortilla with green, red or Mexican salsa, butter or fresh cheese.

MASECA® tortillas taste good with everything.


PORTIONS: 16 Tortillas
TIP: You can cut the tortilla in small triangles and fry them to make tortilla chips or
chilaquiles.
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
I just omit the salt. 
They have a bunch of other recipes there that look really good, so I will have to go back there later and check those out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, this really means a lot to me!